Thursday, May 17, 2007

Handyman apprenticeship

Went to Home Depot and got a sander.
Ryobi 5 In. Palm Grip Random Orbit Sander With Dust Collection


I wanted to buy this one at first, but didn't see it in the store.
Ryobi Variable Speed Random Orbit Sander


The one that I got is pretty good. It didn't take me too long to figure out how to use it.
It seemed to have it own life at first, but later I figured out how much pressure to put on it. They did warn in the manual to not lean on it, extra pressure won't do any good. However, if I didn't put some pressure on it, it'd just try to escape from under me. And, I'd learned that I should do it slow to let it have enuf time to do its job. Unlike painting, you go as fast as you can.
The dust collector feature is surprisingly good. I believe I'd breathed in the minimal amount of paint dust this time. With a sponge sander, you need to use a tack cloth to clean up afterwards but not with this one. You sand the wall and you touch it, your hand comes out clean.... this reminds me of pampers commercial.

Even without the extension cord, I was able to do most of the part of the wall that I wanted to fix. Will have to do some more on the weekend. Altho I should have sanded the whole wall, but the half of the wall that's near the window is really smooth now...really really don't want to touch that part.

No comments:

Google