Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Spooked my fish

After 3 weeks of neglecting my fish tank, I finally set out to clean my tank today. It was disgusting, it's 100% waste. The filter was all clogged up, the water was all yellowy, all edges of the water had layers of poops . So I decided to do a 100% water change, totally breaking the one golden rule that every website says. I was sorta doing that all along tho, indirectly by doing several rounds of siphoning.... the water was almost all gone when I had only "vacuumed" out one quarter of the waste. So this time, I'd decided, no more several gallons of water bucket carrying trip to the bathroom. Just clean the whole damn thing.

First, I spent half an hour cleaning the filter, and found out that the battery/motor can actually be detached from the rest of the filter.
I filled my medium sized water bucket with water from the tank, and of course, tried not to get any poop in.
Then I used my hands to transfer the fish from the tank into the bucket and set it aside.
The fishes were getting too large for the net that I've bought with the tank, some are now 2 inches.
Then I removed 3/4 of the water from the tank (my tank is 10 gallons) into my large water bucket and carried it to the bathroom and drained it down the toilet. Talk about weight lifting, at least this time I only did it once, not 9.

After I rinsed the bucket, I transferred most of the gravels into it and thoroughly rinsed it several times in the shower. And, of course, mom complained afterwards. When they were clean, I transferred them into a heavy duty plastic bag. Then, carried the whole tank with the remaining gravel and water into the shower, rinsed it, transfered the gravel into the plastic bag, and throughly cleaned the tank.

Finally.... after all the cleaning, I moved back all the gravels into the tank, filled it with water (with conditioner), and carried the fishes back into the tank.

The fishes were totally scared after this ordeal. They hid in the corner and wouldn't come out to eat.

No comments:

Google