Another busy weekend as usual. Tried out 3 new recipes, steamed banana cake, steamed chicken and broccoli, and "Ma Lai Go".
The banana cake was ok. The texture was very good, very light and fluffy. Tastewise it's lacking something, the butter.
The steamed chicken had too much water, donno if it's from the broccoli or from the mushroom. The brocoli was very good though eventhough I didn't put any seasoning into it. However, I did soak it in salted water for a few mins to clean.
The "Ma Lai Go" turned out to be sort of a disaster. I missed the step about cooling the browned sugar in icy water bath and I just let it sit in the pot... and it turned into caramel candy. In the end, had to put some water in and re-heat it so that I can use it. Also, stupidly used my fingertip to test the sugar temperature when it looked cool enuf. I now have a blister on 2 of my finger tips. I had to work fast before it became candy again... so I dumped the whole thing into the flour... and there were too much water and I couldn't mix the flour well. However, it tasted very good and the texture was interesting w/ the lumpy flour. It's like chewy mashmallow caramel cake....
Grocery bill is on an incline w/ all these baking and cooking. Next time, I'm only going to use half the meat and cut it smaller so that I can split the $12 or $17 into two cookings instead of using them all at once. Also, I think I'm sick of banana bread now.... probably no more baking for a while.
Cleaned out some closet space together w/ John. We need 3 trips to the garbage room, not fun. The flies were having a convention down there.
Cleaned the 1/4 of the countertop that's closer to the stove and also all the dust-covered utensils that's sitting at the corner.
2 comments:
the steamed banana cake wasn't bad, probably healthier then the banana bread but something was missing.
the mai go lo was good. yep. didnt quite come together, but was sweet. kind of like a sweet coffee cake.
Yes, slowly but surely we are getting organized.
JD
I try to keep my grocery bill to $50 a week. It turns out about $50-$60. But meat-wise, I think it's $4/day.
I should have given more time to baking again...
Post a Comment